How I created my first 3D model. From an average lady to 3D modeling pro in one day (Well, maybe not a pro…)


Recently, I have been given a task to create my own 3D model, and because I ain't no weakling, I am not only going to do it, I am also going to write about it.
Hence, I have started this blog in order to show the world, how fast can somebody create their first 3D model, from photos. Basically, my plan is to each week create one new 3D model and share it so together we can see my progress. And what you know, maybe I will become a pro in no time, and maybe not...But that is why we are here. To watch me learn.
And who knows? Maybe this might be helpful to somebody who is same beginner as I am.
So, are you excited as much as I am? I knew it!
I would call myself a "Guinea pig" at Capturing Reality.  Because, let's face it, who else can provide you with the information about how easy the user interface actually is, if not somebody who has never done anything like this before and knows very little about the subject of photogrammetry and 3D modeling.(me)
As already said, my task is to create my own 3D model in RealityCapture. The whole process, from taking photos of some object to uploading it to Sketchfab.
Honestly, I have seen the software and what it does, solely from the point of view of marketer.
Meaning: "So this is what you can do in it." - Oh, OK.Got it.
Something like that.
Suddenly, it was actually installed on my computer and I needed to work with it. Well,  that is completely different story. But, I have accepted this challenge. Because that is just something what I do.
So, let's start.
YOU might think that because I am an employee, I had a lot of help with this task.. Well, think again.
I had a bit of a help. One of my colleague showed me, where the camera is. That's about it.
So, now that I had the RC software, camera and a bit of knowledge, I had to think what am I going to turn into 3D model. And because I am a lady, the solution was so obvious. Shoes. Who doesn't like shoes? Honestly, tell me. And because I have quite a lot of them it wasn't hard to pick some.
Finally, I had my object as well. Now, I had to think where I was going to perform the photo shoot. First idea was to do it indoors. And it wasn't a good idea. Let me tell you why.
If you imagine that it was some empty room, with one table in the middle and with perfect lighting, you are wrong. Imagine complete opposite. Crowded room, with lot of sharp edges and things that you can trip over. Furthermore, with sun shining through the window directly to your camera and with no place high enough where I could put the shoes.
Fun, isn't it ?
Well, not for me. For those who don't know, in case you don't have any turning table, you are the one who is doing the rotating. So I did. Two times the same circle. Trying to keep the angle of the camera.
The result? The constant kicking, hitting and tripping over something just caused that I did not make enough photos. Well, simply because I was annoyed, hurt and in unbelievably uncomfortable position. (Imagine that you need to do close-up shot and the object is at your calves). Well, that is the life of 3D modeler, I suppose.
Due to this, I can't even consider showing you the very first attempt, because it is horrendous. If it could talk, it would scream Kill Me!!
So the second option was to go outside. This time, much better idea. Anyway, again, there was nowhere to put the shoes, beside the ground. But at least I had enough space for movement.
I took photos from three different angles, three full circles around the shoes. One from the lowest possible point, one middle and one from the top point, trying to keep the same distance of camera from the shoes.
When I assumed that I have enough photos, I returned back to office and started working on the model.
How did it all the modeling go ?
Honestly, it is surprisingly easy. (Unlike what I was expecting)  What is really great is the "Quick Steps" user guide. What is even better, is that when you are creating your model, you can change the layout the way, that you always see the guide in front of you. And you can work and see what is the next step at the same time. Furthermore, if something doesn't work out, you can always go back and check what did you do wrong. For beginner, like me, it is very useful.
Whole model was created from 96 photos and maybe with just 20 clicks of the mouse. What is important, is that everything was done within one day. Even with all the failed attempts, and bruises and changing of places.

OK, maybe mine model isn't the best you have ever seen, but it's one of my first, so I am quite proud of myself.
Of course, there is always place for improvement, and that is why I have started this blog. I believe that I haven't used even half of the functionalities that the software has and already have some pretty good result. Let's consider " pretty good" to be C+, and that is actually great. Because imagine, that you are about to take the exam without studying and you get C+, great isn't it?
























So what have I learned from this ?
  1. When taking photos, try to have natural light.
  2. Have enough space around the photographed object so you can easily move.
  3. Take as many photos as you can, especially, when you are outside. Pay attention to parts, which are not very well visible. Because remember, you need to take your shoes home, and once you move them you can never go back. And only after you create your model, you will see that there is a hole in your shoe because you did not take proper shot of that certain part.
  4. And if you haven’t done anything like this before and you would like to try, go for it. 
Furthermore, you can upload your project to Sketchfab, where you can share all your projects and see what the others have done. 

While I am at it, in case you are wondering what will be the topic of my next blog, it will be about uploading your 3D model to Sketchfab. So, stay tuned. 

Comments

  1. Chi Ti Ti Titanium Flat Irons - Titsanium Art
    Chi Ti Ti titanium stronger than steel Ti ion titanium on brassy hair Titanium Flat Irons. The microtouch solo titanium Titsanium Art is designed to create pure titanium earrings an exceptional display of 2021 ford escape titanium hybrid high quality craftsmanship with an elegant feel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to scan shiny surface part 2: Challenge time

How to never miss a spot again with inspection tool.

How to scan shiny surfaces